The following will outline the processes involved with name changes.
Steps for the Student Requesting a Name Change
- First, notify Jean Weimer, Registrar in RL45
- Jean will then notify the Technical Support Designer, Eysman (Ace) Obando, of the request.
- Ace will contact the student and schedule a time to perform the name change - a secondary, non-MIAD email address will be requested so Ace can reach out and confirm everything is in order, should the unexpected occur and the student is temporary locked out of the account.
- The student doesn’t need to be present, but once it has been handed off to Ace, the student will need to ensure they are signed out of all MIAD accounts - Onelogin, Moodle, wifi (venus/venus2 must be ‘forgotten’ or deleted from known networks on all devices), etc.
- After the name change is complete, Ace will send a confirmation email to the secondary email address that was provided; letting the student know the name change was completed.
- The student will be expected to confirm they are able to sign into all their MIAD accounts.
Post-Process Potential Issues
- For users that have communicated with you over email, prior to your account change, they will still see your old name when composing a message - this isn’t something you can change. Rather, you can request they log into their mail and do the following (to ensure your preferred name is always used, going forward):
- Go to their Contacts and delete your old account
- Create a new contact, with your updated name and email address
Note that there may be some residual entries still showing the old name, but composing new messages should target the new address/name.
- With omission of this step, you may still receive new email addressed to your previous account, as the inbox links all previous addresses with your current account; this is not something IT has control of - it will default the prior account for your contacts, automatically (unless your contact overrides that behavior by adding a 'Contacts' entry, as outlined above).
If you have prior chats with the user, the name does not appear to get updated - this isn't something IT has the ability to change.
Article is closed for comments.